Walailak University has applied “5S” system to all offices in accordance with ‘Green Campus of Happiness’ strategy in order to create organizational culture through encouraging all students and staff to continuously participate in “5S” activities. The activities aim to organize working and living environment to be clean, tidy, and safe under the university’s standard by clearing up to reduce resource loss; organizing space to increase convenience, efficiency and effectiveness of working; and learning to clean and check to prevent an irregularity in order to be the high-competence university with happiness in work and live under nice environment.
SEIRI (Clearing Up) is to manage the items adequately through arranging necessary items orderly and removing unnecessary items by selling or destroying them.
Seiton (Organizing) is to arrange necessary items in the proper places to be the most convenient to use.
Seisou (Cleaning) is to keep cleaning in all areas while checking for irregularity.
Seikets (Standardization) is to maintain and improve the first three “S” by setting up the standard and improving and keeping the good practice.
Shitsuke (Training/Discipline) is to correctly form the work behaviors and generate mode of thinking, working and decision-making according to “S1” – “S4” as a way of life in working or organizational culture to achieve sustainable success.
Goals of “5S” Activities
- Raising staff’s awareness of their responsibilities to implement the “5S” policy into practice and recognize it as regular work.
- All staff have to seriously continue “5S” activities to become their work habits.
Key Performance Indicators
- Be in the top-10 schools in term of “5S” scores ranking.
- Over 80% of staff and students are satisfied with clean, safe, and nice environment.
- The evaluation score of the lectures’ rooms is above 80%